Two things that I need to get out in the open before I start writing this review. One, New Moon was my least favorite in the book series. And two, I have high expectations. Friends better call back if they say they will; Excedrin better get rid of my headache; and Rice Krispies better snap, crackle, AND pop. So, when you go into a movie expecting it to somehow live up to the book, to meet all of your expectations, it’s going to disappoint. Yes, I should have learned my lesson after seeing the first Twilight film, but I didn’t. A bigger budget, a better director, better cast….how could this movie possibly not exceed my expectations? I still haven’t completely figured it out, but somehow, it failed me.
Here’s my analysis: (get ready for some serious brain power here...) If you are a 100% true Twilight fangirl who lives and breathes for this book series, then this movie met all of your expectations and you loved it. If you enjoyed the books, but didn’t love the first movie, then you are relatively neutral (i.e, me.) And, if you only enjoy incredible movies with fully developed characters and plot points, then you hated this.
So, I’m somewhere in the middle. The movie followed the story line of the book almost to a T. Bella and Edward are a happy couple…check. Edward leaves Bella as a crying mess on the forest floor….check. Jacob’s abs show up….check. Bella recovers after seeing said abs….check. Edward goes to Italy to flaunt his pasty torso…check. Volturi creep me out…check. Edward and Jacob fight over Bella…check.
For me, the best parts of the movie were the portrayal of Aro by Michael Sheen, creepy yet obviously amused with himself, and Dakota Fanning as Jane. I also enjoyed Anna Kendrick as Jessica who delivered the few lines she had with great comedic timing. Of course, the naked werewolves didn't hurt either. The wolves were a tad too “muppety” (copyright Jessica Roberts 2009) yet the visual effects worked for me overall. It was a good movie, not a great movie, but good.
Here’s my analysis: (get ready for some serious brain power here...) If you are a 100% true Twilight fangirl who lives and breathes for this book series, then this movie met all of your expectations and you loved it. If you enjoyed the books, but didn’t love the first movie, then you are relatively neutral (i.e, me.) And, if you only enjoy incredible movies with fully developed characters and plot points, then you hated this.
So, I’m somewhere in the middle. The movie followed the story line of the book almost to a T. Bella and Edward are a happy couple…check. Edward leaves Bella as a crying mess on the forest floor….check. Jacob’s abs show up….check. Bella recovers after seeing said abs….check. Edward goes to Italy to flaunt his pasty torso…check. Volturi creep me out…check. Edward and Jacob fight over Bella…check.
For me, the best parts of the movie were the portrayal of Aro by Michael Sheen, creepy yet obviously amused with himself, and Dakota Fanning as Jane. I also enjoyed Anna Kendrick as Jessica who delivered the few lines she had with great comedic timing. Of course, the naked werewolves didn't hurt either. The wolves were a tad too “muppety” (copyright Jessica Roberts 2009) yet the visual effects worked for me overall. It was a good movie, not a great movie, but good.
Now for a few questions:
- What was up with Jasper’s hair? Did McDonald’s have a sale on Ronald wigs?
- How funny was it that Bella was flying on Virgin airlines?
- The scene of Edward and Vampire Bella running through the field was supposed to be funny, right?
Final thought: Taylor Lautner really surprised me as Jacob. I believed the majority of his lines, and he seemed to capture the true emotion of Jacob. If you haven't read Stephenie Meyer's description of Jacob's emotions through Twilight and New Moon, check it out.
As for me, I am fully Team Jacob - - at least until June when Eclipse is released and I swoon over Edward once again.
2 comments:
I've always been a sucker (heh, heh) for vampires, so I did like the movie, but personally, I'll take Keifer Sutherland in "Lost Boys"
BTW, good review, very "sparkly"
The scene of them running HAD to be put there as comic relief.
Post a Comment